Internships are arranged with organizations off-campus, and sometimes on campus, which have writing-related projects that offer the opportunity to experience how writing occurs outside the classroom. One internship credit is awarded for each 45 hours of internship-related work. Acceptable projects include editing, writing, tutoring, and electronic media development; directed research, website work, administrative support for literary projects, and other related activities may also be approved for internship credit. Registration for internships requires completion of specific paperwork, and hours worked may only be counted after the student has registered for the internship in a given semester–fall, spring, or summer.
Students may register for and earn internship credits in English (ENGL) or linguistics (LING).
Internship Mission Statement
The internship program is an integral component and extension of the academic offerings of the English Department at Boise State University. The program is designed to enhance the student’s total academic experience through a supervised and planned experience at a selected business or organization.
Internship Program Goals
- To provide opportunities for gaining workplace experience
- To encourage students to be self-directed in their approach to professional development
- To provide opportunities to apply and reflect on academic experience in a professional field setting
- To broaden the educational experience of undergraduate and graduate English students by giving them an opportunity to work with practitioners in the field
- To foster links between English department programs and business and organizations in the Treasure Valley
For additional details, contact the Internship Coordinator, Dr. Jeff Westover (email@example.com), or visit the English Internship page on Blackboard. You can access the site as a guest by doing the following:
- Go to http://blackboard.boisestate.edu.
- Log in with your BroncoWeb ID and password.
- Select the Courses tab.
- Enter “English Dept. Internships” in the Course Search field, and then click the Go button.
How to sign up for internships
- Go to http://career.boisestate.edu/
- Scroll down two rows beneath the picture.
- Click on “Internship Application for Academic Credit” at the end of the second row.
- Type your username and password in the relevant fields.
- When you see the message addressed to you, look on the left hand side of the webpage.
- Click on the menu selection for Internships. The dropdown box will include a spot to click on for the Internship Application. Click on it.
- Your application form will appear. Fill it out and press “submit” when you are done.
- Look for approval notifications in your email inbox, first from (a) me and then from (b) your internship supervisor. Then look for a notification (c) from BroncoWeb telling you that you have been registered for Internship credit.