Students applying to the MFA Program in Creative Writing are required to complete an online application that includes requirements for admission to the Graduate College, and requirements for the admission to the MFA program.
A. MFA Program Admissions Requirements
1. Letter of intent: A 500 word essay explaining your goals in pursuing graduate study in creative writing.
2. Writing Sample: A manuscript consisting of either 30 pages of fiction or 15-20 pages of poems.
3. Three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your academic work.
4. If you are interested in a Teaching Assistantship, you will need to fill out the Teaching Assistantship Application and upload it into the online application.
B. Graduate College Admission Requirements
1. Fill out the Graduate Admissions Application with a one-time $55 application fee (nonrefundable)
2. Submit Official transcripts of all post-secondary institutions, showing courses completed and degrees earned. Note: The Boise State University Graduate College and the English Department require a minimum 2.75 GPA on undergraduate work or a 3.0 for final sixty credit hours.
Please have the official transcripts sent to Graduate College,
Boise State University, 1910 University Drive, Boise, Idaho 83725-1110
We cannot process your application until all these materials have been received.
Applicants who do not satisfy one or more of these requirements may be admitted with provisional status. They will be advised as to what steps they need to qualify for regular status.
Director, MFA in Creative Writing
Boise State University
1910 University Drive
Boise, Idaho 83725