Students applying to the MFA Program in Creative Writing are required to complete an online application that includes requirements for admission to the Graduate College, and requirements for the admission to the MFA program.
The application for Fall 2016 admission is due no later than January 15th, 2016
A. Graduate College Admission Requirements
1. Fill out the Graduate Admissions Application with a one-time $65 application fee (nonrefundable)
2. Submit Official transcripts of all post-secondary institutions, showing courses completed and degrees earned to mailing address:
Graduate Admission and Degree Services Room 307
Boise State University
1910 University Dr.
Boise, ID 83725-1110.
Transcripts may be turned in by hand in their original sealed envelopes, submitted electronically, or they may be faxed or mailed directly from the originating institution. Our fax number is 208-426-2789. For more information click here.
Note: The Boise State University Graduate College and the English Department require a minimum 2.75 GPA on undergraduate work or a 3.0 for final sixty credit hours.
B. MFA Program Admissions Requirements
1. Letter of intent: A 500 word essay explaining your goals in pursuing graduate study in creative writing. You will be prompted to complete the essay in the online Graduate College application below.
2. Writing Sample: A manuscript consisting of either a maximum of 30 pages of fiction or 15-20 pages of poems. Please upload your writing sample into the online application.
3. Three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your academic work. Please follow the instructions in the online graduate application below. Please do not mail the letters to the creative writing department or send them by other means (Interfolio, etc.)
We cannot process your application until all these materials have been received.
Applicants who do not satisfy one or more of these requirements may be admitted with provisional status. They will be advised as to what steps they need to qualify for regular status.