The Certificate in Technical Communication at Boise State is intended primarily for those students who do not wish to become professional technical communicators, but who wish to improve their writing and editing skills. Some of these students are English majors, studying literature, creative or expository writing, or English education; however, many are from outside the Department of English and even outside the College of Arts and Sciences.
The Certificate consists of three required courses and two courses chosen from a list of electives.
The required courses
The electives consist of twelve courses from numerous fields: communication, organizational communication, management information systems, linguistics, management, sociology, and marketing. All are three-credit courses. Choose any two from the following courses:
- COMM 221 Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 231 Public Speaking
- COMM 307 Interviewing
- COMM 356 Communication in the Small Group
- COMM 361 Organizational Communication
- COMM 481 Studies in Interpersonal Communication
- GENBUS 360 Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
- ITM 310 Business Intelligence
- LING 305 Introduction to Language Studies
- MGMT 401 Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 405 Management of Continuous Learning
- MKTG 407 Marketing Communication
- SOC 390 Conflict Management
- SOC 487 Organizational Theory and Bureaucratic Structure
Application and Admission
There are no application and admission requirements. However, you must fulfill the prerequisites of each course you choose.
To obtain a certificate you must:
- have already completed or complete, at the same time as the certificate, an associate or baccalaureate degree
- complete the number of credits specified for your program
- attain a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0
- attain a grade of C- or higher in all upper-division courses required by the certificate, unless otherwise required by department
- not have a grade of I (incomplete) on your record
- complete graduation application by posted deadline
You may apply for graduation by logging on to your my.BoiseState student account. You must pay a non-refundable graduation application fee when applying.