Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Minor teaching endorsements

This page is intended for:

  • English majors interested in earning a minor in another subject;
  • Non-English majors interested in earning a minor in English;
  • Elementary education majors interested in earning a Pre-endorsement in English.

Academic Minors vs. Teaching Endorsements
An Academic Minor is a university term for a student’s second area of study, usually around 21 credits in the field.  The minor is recorded on your transcript when you graduate.  Minor requirements are listed in the catalog.  They do not certify you to teach the minor subject.

A Minor Teaching Endorsement is a teaching certificate by which the state grants you the right to teach a school subject in addition to your major subject.  You can earn any number of minor teaching endorsements.  You may earn them while you are earning your major certificate, or you can earn them after you start teaching, or both.  You must complete a major teaching endorsement before you can teach with any further endorsements.  It is possible, but not automatic, that you could earn both the minor teaching requirement and an academic minor, but check requirements carefully.

Teaching Endorsements for English Teaching Majors
Even in a subject like English, in which many secondary school teachers find full-time teaching assignments in their discipline, it is a good idea for students to complete a minor teaching endorsement in another field.  Not only are such minor studies educationally beneficial, but students with multiple qualifications are potentially more versatile in teaching roles and able to apply for more jobs.  Minor teaching endorsements are listed in the Teacher Education section of the college catalog and with specific academic departments; most require 20-25 credits. Most common among English majors are minor endorsements in reading, communications (speech or journalism), theater arts, a foreign language, or history, but minor endorsements may be completed in any discipline, including high-demand areas like mathematics or special education.

You must also pass the Praxis II in any additional minor endorsement areas you wish to teach, meeting the same qualifying score as majors in the subject. In addition, you need to complete a classroom internship supervised by the department of Teacher Education in the additional subject.

Teaching Endorsements in English Teaching for non-English Majors
Students who wish to earn a minor teaching endorsement in English must follow the requirements specified in the BSU Catalog under English Minor Certification Endorsement.

Praxis II: The state also requires you to pass the Praxis II test #5038 English Language Arts Content Knowledge” with a score of at least 167 even for a minor endorsement. In addition, you need to complete a classroom internship.

English teaching endorsement requirements (24 credits total):

  • ENGL 267 or 268 Survey of British Literature (3 credits);
  • ENGL 277 or 278 Survey of American Literature (3 credits);
  • ENGL 275 Introduction to Literary Studies (3 credits);
  • LING 305 Introduction to Language Studies (3 credits);
  • ENGL 301 Teaching Composition (3 credits; co-requisite with ENGL 481);
  • ENGL 481 Literature for Jr. and Sr. High (3 credits; co-requisite with ENGL 301);
  • Two writing courses 200-level or higher (6 credits).

Think Beyond the Minimum
The requirements for the minor teaching endorsement in English represent the minimum preparation possible.  Consider that if you earn a minor endorsement in English, you probably will teach English part of the time.  You cannot say to your English students, “Well, English is just my minor—so you are out of luck this year.”  You will be those students’ English teacher, minor or not.  So we encourage you to go beyond the minimum requirements and to take enough course work so that you will feel comfortable and confident in teaching English as well as your major subject.