Students applying to the MFA Program in Creative Writing are required to complete an online application that includes requirements for admission to the Graduate College, and requirements for the admission to the MFA program.
The application for Fall 2017 admission is due no later than January 15th, 2017
A. Graduate College Admission Requirements
1. Fill out the Graduate Admissions Application with a one-time $65 application fee (nonrefundable)
2. Submit Official Transcripts of all post-secondary institutions you have attended beyond high school.
Transcripts may be submitted in the following ways:
Institutions may send official transcripts to:
Graduate Admission and Degree Services
Room 307, Riverfront Hall
Boise State University
1910 University Dr.
Boise, ID 83725-1110.
2. Electronic Transcripts
Official transcripts may be submitted as a secure PDF through an approved transcript services provider to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved Transcript Services:
- Credentials eScript-Safe (formerly known as Script-Safe International)
- Credential Solutions TranscriptsNetwork and TranscriptsPlus
- National Student Clearinghouse
- Parchment Exchange (formerly known as Docufide and Avow Systems)
US institutions only, may fax your official transcript to 208-426-2789.
For more information about official transcripts visit the Graduate College Transcripts page.
The Boise State University Graduate College and the English Department require a minimum 2.75 GPA on undergraduate work or a 3.0 for final sixty credit hours.
B. MFA Program Admissions Requirements
1. Letter of intent: A 500 word essay explaining your goals in pursuing graduate study in creative writing. You will be prompted to complete the essay in the online Graduate College application below.
2. Writing Sample: A manuscript consisting of either a maximum of 30 pages of fiction (double spaced) or 15-20 pages of poems. Please upload your writing sample into the online application.
3. Three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your academic work. Please follow the instructions in the online graduate application. Please do not mail the letters to the creative writing department or send them by other means (Interfolio, etc.)
4. For our Teaching Assistantship award process, please upload a current CV or resume that includes education, publications, work and teaching experience, plus awards and honors.
We cannot process your application until all these materials have been received.
Applicants who do not satisfy one or more of these requirements may be admitted with provisional status. They will be advised as to what steps they need to qualify for regular status.