Skip to Main Content


The Write Class: Placement into English 101, 101P, and 102

As of Fall 2013, all new Boise State students will need to complete The Write Class for placement into English 101, 101+, or 102.

What is The Write Class?

The Write Class is an interactive online program that

  • Is designed for incoming students who need to take English 101, 101+, and/or 102.
  • Assists students in deciding which first-year writing course is the best fit for them during their first semester at Boise State.
  • Includes a reading and writing assessment, information about all of the courses, videos of students discussing the courses, information about test scores and work load expectations, and opportunities for students to seek further advising.

At the end of The Write Class, students are given a program-generated placement.

I’m not a new first-year student. Is The Write Class right for me?

Even if you’re not entering your first semester of college, The Write Class still may be right for you.

Returning Students

The Write Class is right for you. Please see your advisor if you have any questions.

Transfer Students

Please contact the Registrar’s Office for information on transferring courses. We encourage you to complete The Write Class so that you understand what English 101, 101+, and 102 are all about at Boise State University.

Multilingual Students

If English is not your native language and you are here as an international student, you must complete the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) placement test. To take the ESOL test, contact University Testing, (208) 426-2762, located at 1464 University Drive (next to the Student Union Building) or see their website. The ESOL placement will place you into English 121, 122, 123, or 101.